[Incubator] Re: [GeoNetwork-devel] PSC Ping

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org
Mon Oct 29 16:56:52 EDT 2007

Hi Jody,
Thanks for the Ping, I think I should clarify some things here to
avoid you remain without responses :-)

Most members of the PSC are not actively involved in the GeoNetwork
development process and as such no subscribers to the dev mailing list.
The members of the PSC are listed here: http://trac.osgeo.org/geonetwork

When we created the PSC in 2006, we named it the GeoNetwork Advisory
Board. The day to day project management was left to myself, building
up a community of users and developers that collaborate on the basis
of consensus. I have copied the people on the advisory board for
info. The PSC comes together (with the rest of the GN community)
during the GeoNetwork workshops (like the one next week) to discuss
experiences with the software, come up with requirements and define
the work plan for next year for as much as we can.

This is why, after our previous discussions on the existing
management structure, I indicated I'll propose during the workshop to
work towards a Technical Steering Committee (TSC) for the day-to-day
developer management, release management etc... This should consist
of the more active developers as opposed to those on the PSC who
agree on the overall project direction.

So during next week's meeting we will take this up in more detail and
see how we can streamline our processes with those more commonly used
in other OSGeo projects. I understand this structure is not the same
as the other OSGeo PSC's, but this is how the project operates now.

Hope this helps,
Ciao,
Jeroen