[Incubator] GeoTools Mentor Needed

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Sat Sep 15 03:33:24 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> We never knew .... how many projects are handling things that way?
> Jody,
>
> This is pretty much the default behavior for open source projects
> since assigning copyright involves substantial paperwork.  I can say
> that this approach is used by GDAL, MapServer, GRASS.  FDO and MapGuide
> leave the copyright with the copyright holders but use a strongly worded
> contribution agreement that gives the foundation special rights with
> regard to licensing and distribution.  I *assume* that Mapbender,
> MapBuilder, OSSIM, OpenLayers, QGIS, gvSIG and GeoNetwork leave
> the copyright with the original holder, though I don't know that for
> sure. I gather OpenLayers does have some sort of strong contributor
> agreement so perhaps it fits more into the FDO/MapGuide approach.
Interesting - in my experience GeoServer asks for (c) TOPP, uDig asks
for (c) Refractions - but they may of all learned this from GeoTools (c)
PMC.

I am curious now - I am going to check it out:

OSSIM had a nice online source browser
- looking at a few files shows (c) 2000 ImageLinks
- newfft.cpp shows dates of 1967 for the origional fortran but ther eis
no (c) anywhere
- how is OSSIM doing in the icubation process?

Open Layers:
- Copyright 2005-2006 MetaCart

QGIS
- nice online respository - but very slow
- not everything has headers, but the ones I found were all on a per
developer basis

GivSig
- Could not figure it out from the web
- downloading the source code ... shows I need to wait 30 mins

GeoNetwork
- finally one I know - GeoNetwork is Copyright (C) 2001-2007 FAO