[Incubator] GDAL graduation

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jan 7 22:06:52 EST 2008

Hi all,

With the release of 1.5.0 and in consultation with Frank, I would like
to propose that GDAL is ready for graduation!

The relevant IncCom documentation is available on the wiki:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GDAL_Incubation_Progress
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GDAL_Provenance_Review

The two major issues for GDAL when it entered incubation were the lack
of a PSC and some substantial provenance questions.

Over the past year or so (okay, maybe a little longer), I've been
watching the formation and growth of the GDAL PSC and the evolution of
the project from Frank's self-proclaimed benevolent dictatorship to a
healthy, functioning community that works and plays together.  I
definitely feel that GDAL's PSC is an excellent example of an
effective open source community collaborating to build excellent
software and could easily serve as a model citizen for other
projects.  GDAL has definitely embraced 'The OSGeo Way' (http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/principles.html
).

Under the provenance review topic, there are still 8 TO_RESOLVE
markers but it seems Frank has done due diligence in trying to resolve
them.  Numerous other issues have been clarified.  I have spot checked
the review against the source files with no apparent discrepancies.

I invite folks to provide feedback, comments and discussion for the
next week at which time we will proceed with a formal motion.

Cheers

Paul