[Incubator] GDAL graduation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 05:39:14 EST 2008

Paul, Frank,
Great to see GDAL reaching graduation, it sounds like GDAL is in good shape.
However, before graduating I think we need further closure on the
Providence Review Issues. I suspect that you should be able to close
many of them by either:
1. Receiving clarifications already requested.
2. There was a legal opinion stated by Eric Raymond during the formation
of OSGeo that Contributions to a project will automatically assume the
license of the project. You might want to apply this to contributions
you cannot get a response for.
3. If you don't resolve the license issue, there should be a work off
plan describing how it will be resolved. Is the code going to be
rewritten? Is it going to be moved into a separate download?

If there are any outstanding license issues, then there should be an
informative web page explaining the issues to potential users so they
understand the risks associated with using the code. A reference to the
Provenance Review should suffice.