[Incubator] Suggest QGIS For Graduation

Gary Sherman sherman at mrcc.com
Wed Mar 5 22:28:26 EST 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Frank or Bob, can you please ensure this email is forwarded
> appropriate members of QGIS team.
>
> Congratulations to the QGIS folks, this project looks to be very
> healthy and will be an excellent addition to the stable of OSGeo
> software.
>
> I've only picked up on one issue.
> I don't think the existing processes are strong enough to ensure
> that proprietary code is kept out of the codebase in future.
>
> I'd like to see either:
> 1. All developers sign a Contributors Agreement noting they agree to
> developer guidelines, or
> 2. Email a public list with the same type of information as the CA.

We vet all new devlopers very closely and the Social Contract contains
a statement about the appropriate license for code. We can certainly
require a response to a "requirements/responsibilities" email on the
QGIS developer list to make sure there is a public record.

> The key element of the developer guidelines is "Thou shall only
> commit clean code to the codebase".
>
> I'd like to see a documented process for adding new coders which
> includes asking the new coder to sign up to their responsibilities.
>
> I believe all OSGeo projects have such processes. You can see an
> example from Mapbuilder's processes under the title of "Committer"
> and "Committer Responsiblities" at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAP/Contributers+Guide
>

> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Ideally Bob Bray as QGIS mentor ought to be doing this, but Gary
>> and I have
>> been having trouble getting a response from him about QGIS
>> incubation, so...
>>
>> I think QGIS is pretty much ready for graduation.  The documents
>> are at:
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/QGIS_Incubation_Status
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/QGIS_Provenance_Review
>>
>> As a QGIS developer now, I'm not exactly disinterested, but I think
>> QGIS
>> is an open community with a governance structure in place.  The code
>> provenance review found no problems, and in a variety of spot
>> checks myself
>> I don't see any issues.
>>
>> So, consider this a "call for questions and concerns" which will
>> hopefully
>> lead to a motion to graduate within a week or two from either
>> myself or Bob.
>>
>> Best regards,
>

> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Systems Architect
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>
> Think Globally, Fix Locally
> Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
> http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html

Gary Sherman
Chair, QGIS Project Steering Committee
-Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com