[Incubator] Suggest QGIS For Graduation

Robert Bray rbray at robertbray.net
Mon Mar 10 16:26:48 EDT 2008

Time for Bob the absentee mentor to chime in. I've been monitoring the QGIS
mailing lists for quite a long time (since I signed on as mentor) and I can
say from watching interactions on those lists that the QGIS project is
healthy, active, and it has a great community. I've also reviewed portions
of the code and examined everything called out in the provinence review.
Everything looks pretty clean to me. The software itself is stable and the
user documentation is quite good.

All the necessary governance processes are in place and working, but they
are not really documented. It would be good to see these documented
especially the process for adding/removing developers, but I would not hold
up graduation due to lack of documentation.

Cameron's issue below is a valid one, the current QGIS Social Contract is
not really a binding agreement. I guess the question I have is how binding
does this have to be? I know some of the projects have a more or less legal
agreement, e.g. MapGuide, FDO, GeoTools, etc. What's the incubation
comitties take on this?

If the incubation committee is ok with a non-binding agreement then I am
happy to recommend QGIS for graduation.

Regards,
Bob