[Incubator] Incubation mentor for Orfeo Toolbox

Emmanuel Christophe emmanuel.christophe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:05:25 EST 2009

Hi all,

Following the mail of Pieter, I hope to raise some interest for
another project which also applied for incubation a while ago in the
wake of Foss4g: Orfeo Toolbox (OTB: http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/).
This is a project focusing on satellite image processing and
information extraction initiated by the French space agency (CNES)
more than 3 years ago. It is a C++ library based on the Insight
Toolkit (ITK) dedicated to medical image processing.

It covers a big part of the satellite image processing: radiometry,
geometry, classification, segmentation. The documentation (600+ pages
pdf or on-line version) provides more details:
http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide

In this incubation process, we hope to increase synergies with other
OSGeo projects as we are using quite a lot of them (particularly gdal
and ossim) and there are on-going plans to provide QGis plugins for
examples. There is also an effort going on these past few weeks to
develop java and python bindings to enable an easier use for non C++
developers/projects. Following a strong demand, recent developments
focused on a GUI interface, named Monteverdi which targets remote
sensing education and capacity building (it was introduced in
Madagascar last month).

Details of the application for incubation are here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/501

This is a great project with a lot of momentum but there is room for
improvement and we are looking forward to feedback.

Emmanuel