[Incubator] New application: rasdaman

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 13 00:00:55 EDT 2009

Jody Garnett wrote:
> Hi Frank:
>
> We seem to be a bit stuck with more applications coming in then going
> out. Can we do anything to encourage applications currently in
> incubation? Perhaps the list off the home osgeo page; or ask for
> another round of status updates?

Jody,

My opinion is that not that we have too many projects stuck in incubation,
after all there are only five projects in incubation currently.  My opinion
is that those with experience in the incubation process are not willing
to volunteer to act as mentors for the new candidate projects.

I'm not sure if the solution is more active solicitation of mentors from
the existing folks with experience, or whether we ought to widen the
circle of potential mentor candidates.

It is also possible that the candidate projects are just not of sufficient
interest to attract mentor candidates, but certainly that can not apply to
a project as popular as PostGIS!  (Actually, we have had a mentor candidate
volunteer for PostGIS).

I do think we need to proceed to a graduation vote for OSSIM.  I'm afraid
that incubation committee activity has fallen well down my priority list.