[Incubator] New Application: GeoToolkit

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun May 24 19:46:26 EDT 2009

Hi Howard:

A couple of clarifications in line.

>> At the same time, I found myself formally excluded from consultation since
>> I have never been on the PMC and therefore do not have any standing on that
>> decision making process.
>
> "I am forking this project unless I can be on the PMC and have some control
> over my destiny" would have probably been sufficient to cause the PMC to
> act, especially if they thought you had the wherewithal to follow through
> and make it stick ;)

We asked Adrian about PMC membership several times; since he was
taking such a strong leadership role in the incubation process. The
ability to make change proposals is open to all; and one can always
step up with contributions to a module; or even become a module
maintainer.

>> There even arose during this period a closed, hidden mailing list of the
>> PMC which is one of the most insidiuous steps a governing body can ever
>> take.
>
> I agree that private PMC lists (at least ones that have discussions about
> anything significant) can be rather poisonous to project harmony.

The mailing list geotools-administration is open to all; it was taken
as a step for a code free list (since discussions were being lost in
the chatter). This mailing list is open to the public - although
frankly the PMC members have forgotten to use it.

Cheers,