[Incubator] New Application: GeoToolkit

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at geocat.net
Tue May 26 07:23:52 EDT 2009

Hi Adrian and others,
I have followed the thread with interest but also with wonder and more
and more outright frustration. I'm a complete outsider to the
geotools / geotoolkit developments and discussion, but I find it
frustrating to see finger-pointing and insinuating claims go in all
directions. It is clear to all of us on this list that some deep
frustration lies behind the forking of GeoTools into geotoolkit. The
question is if this justifies having such frustration ventilating
emails posted in a continuous stream? I think not.
To give my point of view on the forking doesn't make much sense. I get
the impression there is way to much personal damage already done to
think a fork could be avoided. It just makes me wonder if this
couldn't have been resolved at an earlier stage during face to face
meetings. What I see happening now is that even a moderators on the
incubator committee become the target of this frustration. I think
that is a bridge too far.
I welcome useful technical discussions like the one on DVCS, I welcome
the discussions on alternative project management practices and think
nobody opposes such discussions. I don't welcome finger-pointing
etc... and would also very much welcome more consideration for
sensible arguments Frank put forward as to why geotoolkit would have
to wait a bit before going through incubation. Nobody says it never
should.
Looking forward to see more mutual respect drive the discussions,
cheers,
Jeroen