[Incubator] quality and officers

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 18 20:25:46 EST 2009

Jody Garnett wrote:
> I have been having some interesting conversations at GeoLibre - including
> one around the branding of OSGeo projects as an indication of quality. As
> far as I can tell we have no specific quality requirement - we tend to
> expect a strong user base to hold a project's feet to the fire with respect
> to quality.

Jody,

You are correct.  We do not have formal quality requirements, but we hope
that by selecting projects on the basis of strong communities that
reasonable quality will follow.

I am really not too sure how we would mandate high quality without becoming
very intrusive and offensive.

> This conversation was a reminder that we should look at increasing our
> scope; or setting up a new committee; interact with existing projects
> (assuming the board is not already on this task?).

I do not believe the board is pursing this issue.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the goals and approach of
a new committee.  I assume the idea is that it would aim at improving the
functioning, integration and quality of existing post-incubation projects,
is that right?