[Incubator] cleaning house

Arnulf Christl (WhereGroup) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sun Oct 25 09:35:13 EDT 2009

On Sun, October 25, 2009 13:11, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Really? Infrastructure was always mentioned as optional to me.

I was unclear. I meant to say that projects make an effort to tie into the
communication ('infrastructure') of OSGeo. To me this includes using the
OSGeo Wiki for persistent, easily accessible information with full
history. Keeping this information on hard and software outside of the
control of OSGeo feels incorrect.

> I am
> more interested in marketing / branding opportunities.
>
> I agree that things need to be kept up to date; is this something we
> could ask for in the annual report projects make to the board?

Yes, definitely. This is approved policy but not well enforced.

> It is also
> not clear to me if the marketing committee will collect new flyer

"It is expected" that projects maintain minimal information on the info
sheet of the main web site at http://www.osgeo.org/<project-name> as for
example here:
http://www.osgeo.org/mapserver

> information from the projects or if the incubation committee is expected
> to play this role.

It is in the interest of the projects to provide this information. Failing
to do so should result in the projects being removed from the website.
This is not yet official policy but I am inclined to make a motion on that
behalf.

The incubation committee will in future have to address maintenance of
graduated projects. (I bring this topic up every few months. One day
someone will hopefully pick it up and discuss these ideas here).

Arnulf.

> Jody
>

> On 25/10/2009, at 10:20 PM, Arnulf Christl (WhereGroup) wrote:
>

>> One core thing about incubation is to get people use OSGeo
>> infrastructure as it will enhance inter project communication and provide
>> more transparency. The overhead in creating an OSGeo Wiki account is
>> sort of not so big.
>>
>> I still think that it is a good idea to ask of projects that they
>> maintain their incubation status page up to date on a regular basis and
>> that they also update the code provenance page. It is not asking too
>> much.
>>
>> Regards, Arnulf.
>>

>> On Sun, October 25, 2009 08:51, Jody Garnett wrote:
>>
>>> One objection. The people who need to fill in the information usually
>>>  have their own wiki and permissions and taking things out to our
>>> wiki significantly limits the volunteer effort that can be brought to
>>> work.
>>>
>>> We need to read it. Not write it.
>>> (we could take a PDF of the result)
>>>

>>> Jody