[Incubator] cleaning house

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 29 01:50:11 EDT 2009

On Mon, October 26, 2009 01:39, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 02:35:13PM +0100, Arnulf Christl (WhereGroup)
> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, October 25, 2009 13:11, Jody Garnett wrote:
>>
>>> Really? Infrastructure was always mentioned as optional to me.
>>>

>> I was unclear. I meant to say that projects make an effort to tie into
>> the communication ('infrastructure') of OSGeo. To me this includes using
>> the OSGeo Wiki for persistent, easily accessible information with full
>> history. Keeping this information on hard and software outside of the
>> control of OSGeo feels incorrect.
>
> Note that some projects (OpenLayers, for example), do not do this in any
> way that I'm aware of.
>
> -- Chris

On one hand I meant to say "using OSGeo communication channels, chats,
Wiki, community, etc". which is why I put the "infrastructure" in quotes.
And yes, OpenLayers is very visible throughout OSGeo even although it is
not using its technical infrastructure. But it could be better, for
example by maintaining basic information in the the Wiki and website info
sheet.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OpenLayers

It was never a requirement to have all projects with a short article on
the Wiki but I think it does not hurt either.

For other things like documentation of governance structures etc. I do
think that we should have an OSGeo controlled server for a set of core
documents like we have in paper form for code assignment. This could go
into the Incubator requirements. ...I can can already hear complaints to
not bother developers with unimportant bureaucracy. But eventually we will
have to do it anyway. The sooner we start with it the less pain it will
cause.

Lets see what our Incubation Committee comes up with (maybe IncCom becomes
ProjCom 2.0).

Arnulf.