[Incubator] Re: Is rasdaman suitable/ready for OSGeo incubation?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 06:22:36 EST 2010

On 08/12/10 21:14, Peter Baumann wrote:
> Cameron-
>
> you have suggested to remove all references to the commercial support
> of rasdaman from the rasdaman.org site.
> How does this compare to PostGIS?
>
> - On the main page PostGIS states ". Ask us
> <mailto:info at refractions.net> about consulting services
> <http://www.refractions.net/products/postgis/> and implementing new
> features."
> - On http://www.postgis.org/support/ 2 companies are listed as
> commercial support providers.

I think Pieter mentioned drawing a line between commercial and open
source projects.
I think that you will find it commonly accepted that commercial support
for an Open Source project is seen as positive thing, and counts toward
the maturity of the project.
As such, we specifically list a link to where users can find commercial
support from marketing pages on the OSGeo-Live documentation.
http://live.osgeo.org

However there is a subtle difference between support and control.
In the postgis example, a number of companies offer commercial support,
and generally they offer to enhance the product and return the
enhancements back into the Open Source codebase. People welcome this
support.

Less favourable to the Open Source community is a company who writes
proprietary extensions which are not shared.

On 08/12/10 21:15, Peter Baumann wrote:
> Cameron,
>
> yet another one: PostGIS is released under GPL
> (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.php), just as rasdaman is.
> Does OSGeo see any issue with GPL?

Many of the OSGeo projects are GPL. This is not a problem. I don't see
there being a problem with you dual licencing the software either, so
long as full functionality is provided in the GPL version. (People may
wish to pay to have the software incorporated into a proprietary
product, which requires a less restrictive license).

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director

Think Globally, Fix Locally