[Incubator] RE: Is rasdaman suitable/ready for OSGeo incubation?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 8 09:31:07 EST 2010

On 10-12-07 12:58 AM, Peter Baumann wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> interesting thoughts you raise. BTW, same here - we are in no hurry
> actually.
>
> I occurs to me: how many projects are in the incubation list, that is:
> waiting for check and decision whether to get incubated or not?
> Providing such a list might enhance transparency.

Peter,

Properly filed incubation applications should appear here:

http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&component=Incubator&keywords=~application&order=priority

This link is available from the Incubation Committee wiki page:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Committee

> Probably it's fair to ask about well-defined criteria and metrics. This
> will also be a matter of OSGeo's policy: whether to brand projects in
> retrospect for their achievement, or proactively for their potential
> (such as relevant, stable technology).

I am not comfortable with well-defined criteria and metrics.  I feel the
task of selecting projects for incubation and of recommending them for
graduation is inherently subjective and evolving.

Nevertheless, I am in favor of us trying to capture more and more of our
thoughts on positive and negative criteria in a document.  So far that is
represented by:

   http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/evaluation.html

though the general principles and checklist documents are also helpful:

   http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/principles.html
   http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_graduation_checklist.html