[Incubator] Re: Is rasdaman suitable/ready for OSGeo incubation?

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Dec 8 12:33:35 EST 2010

On December 8, 2010 02:14:20 am Peter Baumann wrote:
> Cameron-
>
> you have suggested to remove all references to the commercial support of
> rasdaman from the rasdaman.org site.
> How does this compare to PostGIS?

Hi Peter,

I don't think anyone is going to be turned off by your fairly low-key mention
of providing consulting services.  Many (most?) projects have a link to
consulting services available.

You'll hit a challenge though when someone else from the community also
provides services and would like to have an equal playing field with you. But
that's easily handled by having a directory of service providers, GeoServer
commercial support page is a good example in my opinion:
http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/Commercial+Support

Having rasdaman.com makes a pretty clear cut between the FOSS project .org
site and the additional services you are offering up.  And does suggest that
"control" of the .org is not == to the .com at some level anyway.

Unless you start having flashing banner ads for the .com on the .org site I
doubt you'll be offending anyone :)

Tyler

p.s. I don't think you'll have any opposition to GPL during the incubation
process either.

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director, OSGeo
tmitchell at osgeo.org
+1-250-303-1831
See you at FOSS4 2011 Denver in September!