[Incubator] Incubation Meeting

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Mar 1 11:32:21 EST 2010

Hi Judit,

this is for GeoMajas *entering* incubation.

The link from the incubator wiki page to pending applications is:

http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&component=Incubator&keywords=%7Eapplication&order=priority

which seems to be slightly different from your query but probably the same actual applications.

I believe that applications are considered on a first-come-first-serve basis with a couple of caveats, the primary one being that a project needs to find a mentor.  As this is on a volunteer basis, and mentors should be at least moderately interested in but not related to the project, the older applications will not necessarily find a mentor before newer projects.

In this case, I've taken an interest in GeoMajas partly because Pieter was on the list looking for a mentor when I was thinking that I had some time to be a mentor again and partly because the project is in my realm of interest (web apps) without intersecting directly with my area of expertise (I don't do a lot of java).

Also, not every project that applies for incubation is actually ready to actually enter incubation based on our somewhat vague criteria. While not every aspect of a project has to be 'graduation-ready' before entrance into incubation, a project does have to demonstrate some basic components that indicate it *will* be able to graduate some day.  In my mind, project maturity is a key element to this.  Well established projects with a diverse developer and user base are more suitable candidates than new, experimental projects that have yet to establish themselves with a community.

Cheers

Paul