[Incubator] Incubation Meeting Minutes - Retirement process

Judit Mays mays at lat-lon.de
Mon Mar 8 05:57:54 EST 2010

Hello,

reading through the proposed retirement process there is one point I
find difficult.

"# Either the Project's Steering Committee, or OSGeo board decide that
the project is no longer viable, or has moved away from OSGeo project
principles."

I think, this is mixing two different events/cases.
* First event: a project is no longer been worked on. Then, the PSC or
the OSGeo Board (if the PSC is not willing or able to act any more)
should announce the project is not being continued.
* Second event: a project is moving away from OSGeo project principles.
In this case, OSGeo might want to act in some certain way. But as the
project might not intend to abandon further work, I would not want that
project to undergo the "retirement process" but rather a "quit OSGeo
process" (to be defined by the board).

Therefore I suggest to rephrase the above sentence to something like:
"# Either the Project's Steering Committee, or OSGeo board (in absence
of the former PSC) decide that the project is no longer viable."

After all, this is about "guidelines for *gracefully* retiring OSGeo
projects".

Leave the potential project straying away from OSGeo principles for a
separate discussion.

Kind regards,
Judit