[Incubator] PyWPS

Arnulf Christl (aka Seven) seven at arnulf.us
Fri Mar 12 17:47:18 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 12:19 +0100, Markus Schneider wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> before I bring up the discussion on PyWPS' incubation admittance (I
>  volunteered as a mentor), please assist me in answering two questions
>  from the PyWPS people:
>
> > AFAIK, once PyWPS would become OSGeo project, the copyright would go to
> > OSGeo.
>
> IMHO, this is not correct (e.g. deegree). OSGeo basically offers to
>  become the copyright holder for member projects to act as the legal
>  representative for copyright issues. Right?
>
> > We would like to offer dual-licensing model (similar to geoserver), so
> > that partners, who are not able from various reasons, accept the GNU/GPL
> > license (which still applies), could still use PyWPS in their products.
> > One real-life example: Humboldt CST (http://esdi-humboldt.eu), which is
> > released under GNU/LGPL uses PyWPS as WPS-interface the schema
> > transformation.
> >
> > So, could you maybe answer this me this question: Once PyWPS would
> > become OSGeo project, would there still be possibility for us to apply
> > dual licensing model?
>
> This should not be a problem for OSGeo incubation, right?

Maybe I don't get it but I cannot see the problem. From all that I can
see on the Humboldt pages they are completely enthusiastic about Open
Source [1]. I am at a loss to understand the need for a dual
proprietary/Open Source licensing scheme? So my interpretation is that
PyWPS is actually asking whether a GNU GPL / LGPL dual licensing scheme
is viable for OSGeo. It is (although maybe somewhat uncommon). It would
make things even easier to go for a simplified BSD right away. Whichever
they go, as long as they do something compatible with the OSI definition
OSGeo will be fine with it.

Regards,

[1] http://esdi-humboldt.eu/home/open-source.html

> Best regards,