[Incubator] Re: GeoMajas Graduation Recommendation

Pieter De Graef pieter.degraef at geosparc.com
Wed Oct 6 05:20:37 EDT 2010

Op 5/10/2010 23:56, Cameron Shorter schreef:
> Congratulations on getting this far.
>
> Questions/Suggestions:
>
> 1. When listing people for the PSC, I suggest putting company
> affiliations after people's names.
Not a bad idea. I will propose this on our mailing list.

> 2. It seems that the PSC is made up of only 4 people from GeoSparc and
> 1 from DFC Software Engineering.
> This makes me a little nervous as it implies that the project has not
> fully matured in the process of attracting external developers.
> At the moment, it seems the project is effectively been driven by
> GeoSparc (which is a credit to GeoSparc) but is a long term risk to
> the project due to its dependence on one company.
> I'm interested to understand the level of involvement from DFC
> Software Engineering (and others?).
> I don't have a quick fix to solve this, as growing a development and
> PSC community takes years.
> Also, while it makes me nervous, by itself I don't see it as a show
> stopper.
Indeed. I had hoped to attract more developers at FOSS4G and although
traffic has gone up considerably it's, as you said, a process that takes
time. It seems that many have started to look at Geomajas, but before
they can actually start on a project where they can use it, usually a
lot of time passes. Also, from most users you never hear a thing. It's
only when they have used it for several projects that they start getting
more involved (or at least, that seems to be the case).

The role of Geosparc in this story is really quite simple. It is the
owner and main supporter behind Geomajas. Geosparc tries to work through
a network of partners, who in turn use Geomajas to create web GIS
applications. DFC is such a partner. Geosparc also tries to get it's
partners as involved as possible, by having them to contribute on the
trunk as well.
As chairman of the Geomajas project I believe that the PSC will attract
developers from such partner companies, as it is in their best interest
to get involved and help steer it. DFC is the first example, but more
will (and should) follow.

--
Pieter De Graef

Community Manager