[Incubator] GeoMajas Graduation Recommendation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 11 12:56:26 EDT 2010

Paul Spencer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to recommend to the Incubation Committee that we consider
> GeoMajas for graduation from incubation.

Paul,

I have reviewed the incubation and provenance review document and I am
pleased with their completeness and conclusions.

As others have mentioned, I have a concern with the PSC being so dominated
by folks from one company.  I hope that moving forward every reasonable
effort will be made to provide more folks outside Geosparc with a role in
the PSC where their involvement justifies it.  It is an important aspect,
in my opinion, of open governance of OSGeo project that those using and
contributing to a project do not feel that it is definitively under the
control of one organization.

I am also mildly concerned by all copyright being assigned to Geosparc
which means that Geosparc can relicense contributors code in any fashion
it wishes.  Nevertheless, this doesn't remove the communities access to
the existing releases to fork and keep as an open source project if
necessary.  Also, in signing the CLA contributors are pretty clear on the
situation.  So I don't see this as a "blocker".

I have also reviewed the geomajas-dev mailing list and I'm pleased to see
lots of open technical discussion with folks inside and outside Geosparc,
voting on proposals that include some revisions and so forth.

With the concerns stated above, I'd be willing to support a motion for
Geomajas to graduate incubation.