[Incubator] Project Graduation Checklist

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 21:51:46 EST 2011

I think we should wait until Jan for the next meeting.

Cameron going though your list I remain concerned that we are laying
requirement on requirement with no offer of assistance.

As I go through the checklist it has four categories:
1) License
- I think you could add documentation license; and data to this list (if
the docs include sample data)

2) Process
-  we are mixing disables with requirements here; perhaps this would be
easier if we list the things such as "documented management process" at the
top; and have a separate note on what we are looking for. Phrases such as
"Ideally the developers come from a diversity of backgrounds" is not really
part of a checklist

3) Quality Control
I think you will have much more luck with this section if you stick to
calling it Documentation and Release Procedure.  These are things that are
understanable and normal; calling it a "quality process" makes it a scary
top down procedure that does not match a lot of communities.

I recommend listing "quality process" as a desirable in the previous
section. Your phrase about a build box being desirable. (Frankly why are we
listing that if the foundation is not offering a build box?) Perhaps if SAC
is willing we could offer them as a contact for setting up a build box?

4) Marking

This section is out of hand (again). The page lists the project as
responsible for artefacts defined by the marketing committee; and that page
breaks out another checklist for what you expect during incubation.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Artefacts

Please let a project complete incubation before hitting them with another
checklist. The incubation committee does not have enough volunteers to go
through our own checklist let alone start taking on the work of other
committees.