[Incubator] Rasdaman Incubation application [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Mon Nov 14 16:43:05 EST 2011

Jody,

Can we please revisit the Rasdaman community's application for incubation
with OSGeo? The original request is at [1].

This has been outstanding for nearly two years.

I have been monitoring Rasdaman community mailing lists over this period and
am please to report that:

- a vibrant community is starting to develop with a marked increase in
momentum over the last six months;

- most discussions appear to be occurring on public mailing lists;

- a process is in place to capture source code contributions, together with
an assignment of IP rights, see [2];

- new developers joining the community from outside of the original
developers of the software. This includes at least one additional developer
being granted commit rights to the source code repository;

- there is work underway to integrate Rasdaman with key OSGeo projects such
as GDAL and MapServer. There is also activity on package management via rpm
underway that I anticipate will result in liaison with the OSGeo Enterprise
Linux community;

- Key Rasdaman community members are also very active within the OGC
Community and actively leading and contributing to the development and
enhancement of a number of standards, including a new version of the
coverage model, as well as WCS 2.0.

Given the positive trend, I believe that it is time for the Incubation
Community to revisit this application with a view to admitting Rasdaman into
incubation.

For your consideration.

Bruce Bannerman

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/553