[Incubator] Fwd: pycsw incubation application

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Dec 14 10:07:05 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Daniel Morissette
<dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:
> Incubator Committee,
>
> One of the big tests in our incubator checklist (and in my mind) is that a
> project needs to demonstrate that it has an open and active community of
> users and developers, which is a good way to measure maturity of a project
> and its future viability.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think pycsw has reached that point yet, unless there
> is a hidden forum or mailing list that I could not find. I found a
> pycsw-devel list on the OSGeo listserv, but it only has a few posts each
> month from the authors themselves:
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/pycsw-devel/
>
> This demonstrates that the authors are already setup to work in an open way
> (kudos for that), but unfortunately the active community of users and
> developers is not there yet.
>
> Maybe if the list was linked from the pycsw.org website that could help
> attract members to the list (if I had not known about the OSGeo listserv I
> would have been unable to find the list).

I don't know if this is new since yesterday, but I did find,
http://pycsw.org/docs/support.html?highlight=mail and
http://pycsw.org/docs/development.html?highlight=mail neither of which
were very prominent to people making little effort to find it.  It is
hard to decide which are the most prominent items to put on the home
page.

HTH, Eli