[Incubator] Fwd: pycsw incubation application

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Dec 14 11:03:33 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Daniel Morissette
<dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:
> On 12-12-14 1:07 PM, Eli Adam wrote:
>>

>> I don't know if this is new since yesterday, but I did find,
>> http://pycsw.org/docs/support.html?highlight=mail and
>> http://pycsw.org/docs/development.html?highlight=mail neither of which
>> were very prominent to people making little effort to find it.  It is
>> hard to decide which are the most prominent items to put on the home
>> page.
>>

> That's probably not new, I just didn't find it, thank you for the pointer.
> Unfortunately the shortest path I can find to get to it is 3 levels down
> from the home page:
>
>   Home -> Docs -> 1.4.0 -> (scroll-down) -> Support
>
> Now that I know what to look for I guess I could have used the search box.
>
> This made me realize that this site structure seems to be inspired from the
> MapServer website which suffers from a similar problem (except that
> MapServer has a link to the "community activities" page in the intro text of
> the home page, but it's still fairly easy to miss).

Putting the 'most important' things in a 'most prominent' manner is
always very difficult, well at least deciding what those things are
can be difficult.

It has been my opinion for many years that the best approach to the
MapServer documentation (which I think is great) is to use the search.
 The same is probably true for GeoMOOSE and pycsw (and other Sphinx
based) documentation.

Eli