[Incubator] Incubation Committee meeting Monday 17th

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Jan 12 07:46:52 EST 2012

On 12-01-12 2:08 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> I don't like the idea of using the word "legal check" as we do not want
> to imply we had a formal legal review; I think this is why the word
> providence was used previously.

Is it "providence review" or "provenance review". I always tought it was
"provenance review" (English is not my first language, so I've heard
both and never knew which one was right).

I agree that we should avoid implying that we had a formal legal/lawyer
review. Perhaps the "Legal" section could be named "Intellectual
Property and License"?

Point #1 "The project code, documentation and data has been adequately
vetted to assure it is all properly licensed as per a provenance review"
could include a few words to insist more on the importance of the
provenance review to track down the origin of all source files and
ensuring we have the right (IP and/or License) to include them in the
project... the current wording almost implies that this is just about
pasting a license text in all files, most of the work is actually
tracking and documenting the origin of all files. Adding the license
text at the end is just the stamp of approval of that process IMHO.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/