[Incubator] OSGeo incubation

Landon Blake sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 08:44:45 PST 2012

Jody:

Thanks for mentioning the banner. I can work something up for labs
projects to use.

I think the concept of a holding area is a good one. I also imagined
Labs as a place where projects could cultivate the communities they
need to qualify for incubation. Sort of a "community and open source
infrastructure building zone".

I imagine a programmer or company with a project they would like to
start under an open source model, or an existing project they would
like to convert to an open source model. Labs would provide them with
the help they need to do that, with a focus on the tools and policies
that build an independent community around the project.

I suppose I need to think about updating the labs wiki page with some
of this info. If there are no objections, I'd like to have the Labs
discussions take place on this mailing list instead of a separate
list. I think that makes sense. We want Labs projects to move into
incubation at some point in the process anyways.

Landon