[Incubator] Committer Responsibility Guidelines Examples?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:48:54 PDT 2012

Jody,
The key element I'm looking for is a documented process, which is part
of the project's supporting web pages, describing how the project will
ensure future contributions to the code base will follow license guidelines.
This means that before a new developer is provided to access to commit
to the code base, they need to sign a code contribution agreement, or
state publicly that they agree to the project license and software
development guidelines.

The link to the geotools project you reference below does this by
requiring new developers to sign a code contribution agreement before
committing.

A lighter version is provided for the OSGeo-Live project:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Subversion

Commit access
    To get commit access, you need to create yourself an osgeo user id
    <http://www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid>, then join our email list
    given access to subversion. In this email, you will also need to
    confirm that you will comply with our license guidelines. Write
    something like:

    /"Hi all, I'd like to contribute XXX to OSGeo-Live. Could I please
    get access to subversion. My osgeo-user id is: YYYY./

    /I confirm that my contributions to OSGeo-Live will be compatible
    with the OSGeo-Live license guidelines at the time of contribution."/

    The current OSGeo-Live license guidelines are:

      * /Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
        for Quickstarts/
      * /Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License for Project
        Overviews/
      * /Version 2.1+ of the LGPL for install scripts/
      * /One of the OSI approved Open Source licenses for installed
        applications/

    A project admin will then add you to the osgeo
    <https://www.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/auth/ldap_group.py?group=osgeo> user
    group.

Other projects, such as Frank's reference below provide something similar.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally