[Incubator] [rasdaman-users] Re: Rasdaman as a 'Benevolent dictatorship' Project: was [rasdaman-dev] patch quality

Beccati, Alan a.beccati at jacobs-university.de
Fri Aug 2 04:12:30 PDT 2013

Since the topic is OSGeo incubaton I would not give too much to the almighty kernel and his leader, they do not want graduation and are free to follow whatever model they prefer which is also the case for JTS (as cited by Jody[1]). From my point of view I see there is a clear request from OSGeo side to have an open "democratic" governance (among the many others that we already fulfilled as a community); of course I agree that a PMB, and an high bus factor, are distinct advantages for the resilience of a project to unforeseen adverse events such as dropped support from a contributing entity but this should not be the only driving factor.

The most relevant case I see from the ones cited is indeed postGIS, a graduated project: from what Susanne highlighted, gives me the impression of being probably an evident case of PSC creation and enhanced community support achieved thanks to the OSGeo incubation. A joint effort, which likely gave Refractions developers more time and freedom to focus on developing new features, rather than providing basic support and fixing minor documentation issues or simple bugs that well-built communities can provide. Since this is my speculative opinion I'd pretty much would like to have their (refraction) opinion about how this worked out for their company (which I understand to be the original project founder). In my opinion it is important to consider such aspects, since open source has to ensure companies with talent can thrive participating in it and embracing such open decision making processes. Is there a success story or any other feedback from them available for consideration?

Let me also point out that a PSC for rasdaman (as is already the case for other mentioned projects) would be most likely composed of members from the rasdaman company and Jacobs University since, from my perspective, these two are by far the most active contributors, having the large majority of effort invested on the community project. Not many others I see having a chance to get into decision making, based on meritocracy (contributed effort). This of course might change with community (and active contribution) growth.

As Bruce correctly noted there has already been a considerable shift towards openness both with respect to technical discussion (core foundation of decision making in open source) and planning, which I consider in part to be an OSGeo-driven success for our project and an inlet for getting active participation. I look forward to see how this evolves for our community and remark that I consider a very important success factor for our community project to be part of the OSGeo interconnected projects ecosystem by graduating That is however only one aspect of successful open source projects as the aforementioned JTS case remarks.

Alan

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2013-July/002215.html