[Incubator] [rasdaman-users] Re: Rasdaman as a 'Benevolent dictatorship' Project: was [rasdaman-dev] patch quality

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Aug 2 06:31:17 PDT 2013

My 0.02$ is that OSGeo and its community were built around the principle
of open governance and healthy community participation, and that
direction by steering committees (as discussed earlier) is a key part of
OSGeo's DNA, so this is unlikely to change if you ask me.

This does not mean that benevolent dictatorship cannot work and that
Linux is doomed to failure... just that OSGeo and its community are
expecting open governance and a healthy community of users and
developers from their projects for a number of reasons and that this is
one of the (many) things that the Incubator has to care for.

BTW, don't flame me for writing this please. I am just relaying the
mandate given by OSGeo members to the Incubator. If the members (not
just the board, but the whole membership) decide otherwise then we'll
adapt the rules, but until then, that's what the rules are (and I do
believe in the reasons behind those choices).

Daniel

On 13-08-02 7:54 AM, Beccati, Alan wrote:
> Indeed a good topic for consideration too. I guess from recent mails OSGeo is somewhat aware of this and I hope this will be sorted out soon on their side. Especially this apparent "blocker" issue.
>
> Alan

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/