[Incubator] Code contribution examples?

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 13:35:12 PST 2013

I have a second example … and it is interesting.

The GeoTools contribution agreement (worked out previous to donate code to the OSGeo Foundation) has been met with .. distain from potential contributors. Now we were not provided with specifics, only told to adopt something normal like the Apache code contribution agreements.

Personally: I expect the additional cost involved to review the T&C around a non standard code contribution agreement is prohibitive.

Given the fun and games we had last year I was willing to make a change … and the following change request is raised for the GeoTools PMC:

   http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Replace+Contribution+Agreement

This represents the Apache contribution agreements modified to donate code to the OSGeo Foundation. There is nothing specifically GeoTools about these agreements, and if approved they can be reused across all OSGeo projects.

(Reminder that this is only required if you need your contributors to donate the code to the organisation, if you have another legal entity holding onto the code you will need something similar).