[Incubator] Fwd: Rasdaman as a 'Benevolent Dictatorship'

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 22:29:54 PDT 2013

So I think that means they do not quality for OSGeo incubation. Part of our driver here is to promote open development (i.e. to ensure that anyone can take part - it is not pay-to-play, or in the benevolent dictatorship case create-to-play).

Note "play" in the case is about "making significant strategic decisions" rather than simply "commit".

I am not personally against benevolent dictatorship, that is how JTS (foundation of our industry) operates. It is just not the ideal we to promote as an organisation.

With that in mind, I expect you can read the announcement of "benevolent dictator" as truth in advertising (which is to be applauded). Please check with the project if open development is something they wish to work towards while in incubation, or if they wish to withdraw from incubation.

If you feel especially worried about this one we can bump it up to the board to confirm our mandate as incubation committee, but this looks to fall within our jurisdiction (specifically your role as mentor).