[Incubator] gvSIG incubation process feedback

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 04:14:25 PST 2014

You are correct Bob (and Arnulf).

There is a bit of a balance.

I can understand projects rushing to fix any IP issues (such as copying
some code from another project without checking the license details). This
is the kind of thing that should be fixed irregardless of incubation as it
prevents the community from being in position to legally make a release. We
are not seeing as much of that now as everyone has gotten a lot better at
understanding how open source works.

I get concerned when projects rush to set up a steering committee (since it
sounds cool) when the process they are already using may work out just
fine. Many small projects can get by just fine with discussions  on an
email list with rare votes between committers if the decision is a tough
one.