[Incubator] [rasdaman-users] Re: [rasdaman-dev] rasdaman incubation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 15:00:06 PDT 2014

On 18/06/2014 9:58 pm, Peter Baumann wrote:

>> I'm personally very short on volunteer time and would rather spend
>> that on working through Rasdaman graduation issues. I have no doubt
>> that I'm not the only person in this position.
>
> same here - incubation is consuming substantial effort in addition to
> all our obligations. Hence, we are interested in converging in a way
> that is efficient for all sides.
<rant>
Peter,
Developing quality software, proprietary or open source, is time
consuming, with lots of little details being fixed for seemingly little
gain. Not just writing quality software, but also publicly publishing
how you are writing quality software.
OSGeo's incubation provides a recognised mark of quality, and
consequently requires a significant amount of time. Moving from version
1 to version 2 of our incubation checklist is part of OSGeo's commitment
to quality - ensuring OSGeo is continually improving.
So basically if a project is looking for OSGeo's branding of quality,
the project is also needing to sign up for the time consuming and
nit-picking requirements of providing and demonstrating a commitment to
quality.
</rant>

--
Cameron Shorter,