[Incubator] Helping out with code/license reviews

Manuel Grizonnet manuel.grizonnet at cnes.fr
Fri Feb 27 06:51:48 PST 2015

Hi Landon, Johan,

just to let you know that there are ongoing development in OTB trunk
that will impact (marginally) this code review.

Briefly:

- We're moving the code architecture to a more modularized OTB. Most of
third parties will be handle as modules and will be used as external
dependencies and we'll minimize the number of internal libraries (no
more internal versions of openjpeg, libsvm, ossim, itk)
- In parallel to the modularization we'll clean up the list of external
dependencies not used anymore (edison, libkml...)

More info on this modularization:

https://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/orfeo-toolbox-4-4-source-release/

There are still work to do on the modularization side but we hope to
release a new OTB 5.0 in the Spring. I Think that it will help and
facilitate to complete the work done by Johan for the OTB code review.
Note also that my employer CNES (french space agency), funded an audit
by BlackDuck for OTB about code provenance. It was more than 4 years ago
but I'll see if I could provide it to you Landon.

Regarding copyrights, we planned also to introduce also this year a
Contributor License Agreement for OTB, more info here:

https://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/wind-of-changes/

Forget to add that we've got a new website with credit to OSGeo which
specify also that we've started the incubation process.

So lots of news on the OTB side but news which are going in the right
direction I think for our OSGeo incubation process.

PS: CC  to otb-developers mailing list

Regards,

Manuel

Manuel GRIZONNET