[Incubator] [Board] Incubation <s>nightmare</s> question

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Mon Jan 26 04:52:08 PST 2015

Massimiliano,
before calling all of Incubation a nightmare I would suggest to check
what may have gone bad in your specific case. I am the assigned mentor
for istSOS so ideally you should first contact me directly before
frustrating all on this list, right?

Your last mail to me dates from April 24 2014 [0] and the first thing
you say is that you can easily retrieve a "code agreement" - but I have
not yet seen this manifest anywhere. So how to proceed?

To me the most problematic section in the Incubation process of istSOS
is the "Community Functioning". If you look at the Wiki web site [1]
there are still quite a few "tba" (does that mean "to be added"?).
Please add.

The IstSOS Provenance Review page [2] in the Wiki is still not populated
at all. Please add.

Until those questions are answered I don't think that the project is
ready to graduate.

[later]
Admittedly I was somewhat annoyed by your mail.

...but now that I read maybe there has been a general misunderstanding.
In my opinion IstSOS is already in incubation and I am just waiting for
results. Rereading your mail it appears that you are still expecting
some confirmation from the board level? Right?

In general projects seem to expect the mentor to do all the work to get
their project through incubation. This is not so - at least not from my
perspective which may obviously be wrong. In my understanding the mentor
is there to help if there are process questions, recommend a way forward
in a tricky situation and to make a pre-check of the status of the
project to be able to recommend graduation.

Which is what I tried to achieve with this mail. Did it work?

Have fun,
Arnulf

[0] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2014-April/002389.html
[1]