[Incubator] gvSIG project graduation (Update)

Dimitris Kotzinos kotzino at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 08:50:00 PDT 2015

Dear all,

I think that this is a good time for me as the mentor of the gvSIG
project to recap the discussion in an effort to move things forward.
Before that I would like to thank all the members of the committee for
the highly constructive comments and the members of the gvSIG Community
(especially Alvaro and Manuel that were the voices) for the very prompt
and also constructive responses that show a great level of dedication in
the graduation process.
So I feel that the gvSIG community is demonstrating also through the
graduation process its strength and commitment. I think that there were
not really severe pending issues that would prohibit the project from
graduating, while various comments - like the management process and the
TSC functioning - demonstrated that on the one hand there is always room
for improvement and on the other hand the community has already strong
processes in place. We might not all agree 100% of all the processes but
in my review of those (and I had long discussions with the gvSIG people
before suggesting the project for graduation) I find that the processes
are institutionalized and observed with a professional quality. The
gvSIG community offers the unique experience for an OSGEO project to be
managed by a legal entity. Moreover, the gvSIG community is healthy and
spans 4 continents and carries information in different languages and in
different places. I suspect that graduation gave them a good incentive
to clarify and update their documented functions.

So since we started the graduation process back in July (almost now 3
months ago) I would like to ask teh Committee members to try to honor
their request that we have some results shortly enough, in time for
their next gvSIG Conference. Personally I do not see any blocking factor
but if it is let's try to communicate it to them as fast as possible.
So I would like to kindly ask Jody, as the chair, that if he feels that
there are no blockong issues to move the vote forward.

Again from my side I am available to facilitate the process as much,
although as you saw so far I am letting the community deal with all
requests posted here.
So please as a Committee let's follow up on this.

Best regards,

Dimitris