[Incubator] gvSIG project graduation - motion

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Sat Oct 31 05:28:59 PDT 2015

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to the gvSIG group for their work to better document the processes.

I vote +1 for the project to graduate because we have met minimum
documentation requirements and I am confident that the project does
operate in an open manner and meets our criteria.

However, I would like to see more documentation on the decision
processes, more specifically:

- How does one become a COMMITTER? WHO makes the decision and by which
PROCESS? (is it a TSC vote? a gvSIG association member vote? An
arbitrary decision of a single individual?)

- How does one join the TSC? WHO makes the decision and by which
PROCESS? (is it a TSC vote? a gvSIG association member vote? An
arbitrary decision of a single individual?)

- How does an organization become a "Partner" or a "Collaborator"? I
looked and could not find any info on that.

The reason why it is important to document these things is so that
outsiders who want to join the project in those official roles have a
way to know what they need to do and what the gvSIG project will expect
of them. Making this information known and easy to find is part of being
open to new project members.

Once again, I have voted +1 and don't make my vote conditional... those
comments are mostly enhancements requests for your
"about-technical-decisions" document. If the info already exists
somewhere, then perhaps adding a link to it from the
"about-technical-decisions" page will do.

Thanks

Daniel

On 2015-10-27 12:53 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Hi incubation committee,
> With the latest updates to gvSIG's docs about decision making [1]
> updated, I believe gvSIG is ready for graduation, as requested by
> Dimitris (OSGeo graduation mentor) below.
>
> I propose that gvSIG is officially passes the OSGeo Graduation process
> and is accepted as an OSGeo project into graduation.
> +1 Cameron
>
> [1]
> http://docs.gvsig.org/plone/projects/gvsig-desktop/docs/about-technical-decisions/
>

> On 27/10/2015 2:50 am, Dimitris Kotzinos wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I think that this is a good time for me as the mentor of the gvSIG
>> project to recap the discussion in an effort to move things forward.
>> Before that I would like to thank all the members of the committee for
>> the highly constructive comments and the members of the gvSIG Community
>> (especially Alvaro and Manuel that were the voices) for the very prompt
>> and also constructive responses that show a great level of dedication in
>> the graduation process.
>> So I feel that the gvSIG community is demonstrating also through the
>> graduation process its strength and commitment. I think that there were
>> not really severe pending issues that would prohibit the project from
>> graduating, while various comments - like the management process and the
>> TSC functioning - demonstrated that on the one hand there is always room
>> for improvement and on the other hand the community has already strong
>> processes in place. We might not all agree 100% of all the processes but
>> in my review of those (and I had long discussions with the gvSIG people
>> before suggesting the project for graduation) I find that the processes
>> are institutionalized and observed with a professional quality. The
>> gvSIG community offers the unique experience for an OSGEO project to be
>> managed by a legal entity. Moreover, the gvSIG community is healthy and
>> spans 4 continents and carries information in different languages and in
>> different places. I suspect that graduation gave them a good incentive
>> to clarify and update their documented functions.
>>
>> So since we started the graduation process back in July (almost now 3
>> months ago) I would like to ask teh Committee members to try to honor
>> their request that we have some results shortly enough, in time for
>> their next gvSIG Conference. Personally I do not see any blocking factor
>> but if it is let's try to communicate it to them as fast as possible.
>> So I would like to kindly ask Jody, as the chair, that if he feels that
>> there are no blockong issues to move the vote forward.
>>
>> Again from my side I am available to facilitate the process as much,
>> although as you saw so far I am letting the community deal with all
>> requests posted here.
>> So please as a Committee let's follow up on this.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Dimitris

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/