[Incubator] Proj4php community project

Julien Moquet moquet.julien at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 05:33:25 PDT 2016

Dear OSGeo members, Mr Garnett,

As you may know, proj4php is an open source project, started in 2009, and
recently hosted on github : https://github.com/proj4php/proj4php
This is not a huge project, but we got a tiny community to be grown.

In order to describe our project, here is answers for questions from this
page :
http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/application.html

> Please describe your Project.

Proj4php is a php library for geographic coordinates transformation using
proj4 definitions

> Why is hosting at OSGeo good for your project?

Most of library using proj4 definitions are hosted at OSGeo. It gives the
project more sens for the users, and more visibility.

> Type of application does this project represent(client, server,
standalone, library, etc.):

library

> Please describe any relationships to other open source projects.

spatialreference.org as a source of defs

> Please describe any relationships with commercial companies or products.

nop

> Which open source license(s) will the source code be released under?

LGPL 2

> Is there already a beta or official release?

The 1.0 stands for old releases (php under 5.2), and the 2.0 releases are
the latests.

> What is the origin of your project (commercial, experimental, thesis or
other higher education, government, or some other source)?

Proj4php gets its origin as I was stuck on delay on a php project with
strong hosting constraints. I translated proj4js in php, and set its source
code open the same night.
Then a little community started to grow. Winne27, nickolanack, judgej made
real good work on proj4php to develop it and help others to use it.

> Does the project support open standards? Which ones and to what extent?
(OGC, w3c, ect.)

nop

> Has the software been certified to any standard (CITE for example)? If
not, is it the intention of the project owners to seek certification at
some point?

nop

> Is the code free of patents, trademarks, and do you control the
copyright?

yes

> How many people actively contribute (code, documentation, other?) to the
project at this time?

We are 3 people to help others to fix their problems or answering questions
on proj4php.

4

> Approximately how many users are currently using this project?

Github tells there is 48 unique cloners the last 14 days, and we got about
1800 downloads the last 30 days on packagist.

> What type of users does your project attract (government, commercial,
hobby, academic research, etc. )?

I don't know

> If you do not intend to host any portion of this project using the OSGeo
infrastructure, why should you be considered a member project of the OSGeo
Foundation?

I don't understand the question !

> Does the project include an automated build and test?

Yes, we use Travis

> What language(s) are used in this project? (C/Java/perl/etc)

PHP

> What is the dominant written language (i.e. English, French, Spanish,
German, etc) of the core developers?

English, but I am personally French

> What is the (estimated) size of a full release of this project? How many
users do you expect to download the project when it is released?

about 200 ko ?

Regards,
Julien Moquet