[Incubator] code of conduct addition to incubation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 03:43:40 PDT 2016

Hi Jody, thanks for the feedback. You've made some good comments.

My responses and actions inserted below.

On 6/09/2016 12:23 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> grabbing this out into a seperate thread (rather than make things
> complicated).
>
>     While not approved by the incubation committee, I have added
>     suggestions for a next version of the incubation list here:
>     https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Graduation_Checklist
>     While nothing on this list should prevent current incubation, I
>     suggest running your eye over it and see if there is anything else
>     worth addressing.
>     In particular, I suggest that somewhere in your processes you link
>     to the OSGeo code of condu
>

> Going through the stuff in red, which I assume is your most recent
> additions:
Yes, stuff in red is differences between the last version 2.0 incubation
document, and proposed new version.

> [open.2d] Users are supported and encouraged, via an email list or
> similar.
> - I had assumed that "[open.2a] The project should have a community of
> developers and users who actively collaborate and support each other
> in a healthy way. " would cover this?
Valid comment. I've struck out this line, with intent that it should be
removed in the final version.

> [processes.4] The project has a Code of Conduct. This may be a
> reference to the OSGeo Code of Conduct.
> - I wonder if this belongs under "open" rather than process?
> - I also recognize that a code of conduct is one tool out of many for
> a project to work on being inclusive?
> - I have not seen the osgeo code of conduct discussed much at the
> project level? I kind of viewed he OSGeo code of conduct as applicable
> to all committees, mailing lists and projects (and thus not a subject
> for incubation as you have outlined here?)
I agree that Code of Conduct aligns better with the "[open.2]Active and
healthy community", and have moved as suggested.
With regards to further questioning about whether projects should
reference a Code of Conduct. I think they should and it should be an
incubation criteria. Healthy communities are built on mutual respect,
and a Code of Conduct helps confirm an understanding of mutual respect.

> [documentation.3] The project has deployment documentation:
> [documentation.3a] Including, where appropriate, how to deploy,
> configure and optimise the application.
> - I find this covered under "[documentation.1] The project has user
> documentation:" - for a server application the user documentation
> would be directed at the system administrator. I know the language is
> confusing with a sys admin being responsible for standing up a service
> which is made available to "users".

I mildly disagree with you here. I'd be interested to hear thoughts from
others. If others also think this extra line should be removed, then I'm
ok with that.

> [release.1a] Which supports both stable and development releases.
> [release.4] The project has released stable, feature complete releases.
> - this is getting too much, asking that a project make releases is one
> thing, asking that a team maintain multiple concurrent versions
> suitable for public consumption is a bit too far
> - making the source code available, and instructions for how to build,
> are enough for any party interested in trying our the latest development
> - (nightly build is preferable to development releases anyways so that
> the community can benifit from rapid feedback)
I think your logic about expecting concurrent releases are valid. I've
struck out [release.1a].
However, I can't see any reasoning for removing: [release.4] The project
has released stable, feature complete releases.

> I am leaving off the other items as they require collaboration with
> the respective committees.

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254