[Incubator] PyWPS update

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 22:24:49 PDT 2016

G'Day Tom, great to hear from the project!

I am not really sure what to make of the PyWPS 3 vs PyWPS 4 question - I do
not think anything like that has been asked before. I had always assumed
that a development team was going ahead and reviewing their current code
base?

Are both codebases still active? Is PyWPS 4 based on PyWPS 3 codebase in
any way?

For incubation, the process of reviewing the codebase and double checking
that the contents are in fact open source is what is important. We do our
best to trust the project teams procedures to ensure the codebase remains
open source after incubation. Those procedures usually focus on ensuring
contributions are either open source, or contributed under a license that
allows open source distribution. But it is really up to the team
(conducting an additional review/audit, or having an external party to
review) are not un head of.

License changes are fine, but tricky - usually need to contact all the
contributors (or have the code provided under a contribution license which
permits the PSC to change license).

The PSC can transfer copyright to OSGeo at any point (it does not need to
take place during incubation, it is just a "service" that OSGeo can provide
since it is a legal entity). Clarification - the PSC can only transfer
copyright to OSGeo if it was a legal entity. If not the PSC ends up hunting
down all the contributors (as we did for the GeoTools project) and asking
them each to sign a contribution agreement one at a time...