[Incubator] Considering Portable GIS as an OSGeo community project

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 16:15:55 PDT 2017

Looks good Jo, I will be happy to make the motion in a bit.

I like the friendly tone for CONTRIBUTING.md file, can I recommend making a
note somewhere in there that people should contribute their changes to the
project using a GPL3 license.

Sometimes groups like Apache like to have a seperate license for
contributions that is different from the license used for distribution.
GPL3 tends to serve both these needs - but your contributors should be
really clear they are providing the project the code / fix / change with a
GPL license so there are no tears later. One trick I use to double check
consent is to ask these pull requests to include adding their name to the a
CONTRIBUTORS list in the documentation - both so I can credit them in
release notes and have a list of participants.

It also looks like your LICENSE file is just the header, rather than a full
GPL license.  For complete text see:
- https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
- https://github.com/IQAndreas/markdown-licenses