[Incubator] Projects Waiting for a Mentor

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 15:02:33 PDT 2017

The tickets were for projects wanting to join incubation, so zoo-project
and others had applied previously and those tickets were closed when they
were accepted.

Here is the list of closed tickets:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?status=closed&component=Incubator&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority

Johan your frustration is the length of time projects spend in incubation
is shared.

I know when my own project entered incubation the interested parties
(volunteers and potential customers) who were asked GeoServer to "join
osgeo" - vanished when the project entered incubation. Simply entering
incubation was enough of a marketing message that there was no longer a
business driver to continue working on it. I assume this is a common
pattern that affects the other project teams here.

To water down the marketing message we are no longer calling out incubating
projects on the new website; to get the full force of "joining" OSGeo a
project will need to complete incubation.

To make that easier to take we are also promoting OSGeo community projects;
which is how the projects in incubation will be listed. To qualify projects
ned to be geospatial, open source and accept contributions. I am willing to
break out graduation requirements up so projects can easily share how far
along they are in the incubation checklist (if participants feel it would
communicate progress).