[Incubator] Recommend OTB For Graduation

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 12:20:30 PDT 2017

Thanks Manuel:

Let me see if I understand, the software guide is generated from OTB source
code, which includes latex files, along with example code which is Apache
v2.

Apache v2 is a software license (it provides permissions that let
developers reuse this source code to make programs, along with a few
conditions).

My question was about a document license.  When writing documents there are
a few things that normal professional writers are able to do with out
getting in trouble like quoting a section of a document, or citing a
document where they got an idea from. Document licenses (like creative
commons) gives authors additional permissions, allowing them to reuse text
in the same way that developers reuse open source.

We ask that OSGeo projects consider a document license for their work, it
helps enable a few communities (for example GeoForAll is focused on
education and they really depend on document licenses to do "open
education" where they share materials the same way we share in "open
source").

*website: *At the bottom of your website it says "Copyright © 2002-2015
CNES. CC By 4.0 Except where otherwise noted, the OTB web pages are
released under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License". This is a
document license allowing authors to reuse content from your website, so
long as they indicate where the text came from and provide you credit. This
allows authors to quote your release notes

*cookbook:* At the bottom of your cookbook it says "© Copyright 2017, OTB
Team. Built with Sphinx using a theme provided by Read the Docs.". This
allows users to read the pages, but it does not allow authors to do
anything other than quote and cite the content.