[Incubator] Considering Portable GIS as an OSGeo community project

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Thu Sep 7 03:04:35 PDT 2017

Hi Jody,

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm in the middle of implementing the changes
you've suggested- I've updated the license and included a section in the
contributors document about GPLv3. I think the other thing I need to do is
add the license header to all my batch files, which I will start working on
asap.

Jo

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 12:15 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> a note somewhere in there that people should contribute their changes to
> the project using a GPL3 license.
>
> Sometimes groups like Apache like to have a seperate license for
> contributions that is different from the license used for distribution.
> GPL3 tends to serve both these needs - but your contributors should be
> really clear they are providing the project the code / fix / change with a
> GPL license so there are no tears later. One trick I use to double check
> consent is to ask these pull requests to include adding their name to the a
> CONTRIBUTORS list in the documentation - both so I can credit them in
> release notes and have a list of participants.
>
> It also looks like your LICENSE file is just the header, rather than a
> full GPL license.  For complete text see:
> - https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
> - https://github.com/IQAndreas/markdown-licenses

> On 28 August 2017 at 10:02, Jo Cook <jocook at astuntechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've added a contributing guidelines page and moved the license and
>> changelog to the root of the portable gis repository at
>> https://gitlab.com/archaeogeek/portable-gis. Does it all look OK?
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who has offered to assist with Portable GIS- it's
>> really appreciated.
>>
>> All the best
>>
>> Jo
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Landon Blake <
>> sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If I can help Jo with set-up as a community project, let me know. I'm a
>>> Windows user...so I can help with the testing of releases. I'd also be
>>> interested in learning more about how this works. :]
>>>
>>> Landon

>>> --
>>> Landon
>>> "Homemade cookies. Hmmmmmmmmmm!"
>>>
>>> Web: www.landonblake.com
>>>
>>> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/landonblake
>>>
>>> Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+LandonBlake
>>>
>>> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/scott.l.blake.3
>>>
>>> Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/landon_blake/
>>>

>> --
>> *Jo Cook*
>> t:+44 7930 524 155 <+44%207930%20524155>/twitter:@archaeogeek
>>

>> --
>> Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey,
>> KT18 7RL, UK
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=17+West+Street,+Epsom,+Surrey,+KT18+7RL,+UK&entry=gmail&source=g>
>>
>> t:+44 1372 744 009 <+44%201372%20744009> w: astuntechnology.com twitter:
>> @astuntech <https://twitter.com/astuntech>
>>
>> iShare - enterprise geographic intelligence platform
>> <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
>> GeoServer, PostGIS and QGIS training
>> <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
>> Helpdesk and customer portal
>> <http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>
>>
>> Company registration no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales.
>> Registered office: 120 Manor Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN

Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18