[Incubator] CONTRIBUTING.md and LICENSE.md not a requirement for incubating projects?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 02:32:24 PDT 2017

Hi incubation committee,

One thing the OSGeo-Live community have picked up is that OSGeo
Community projects are being asked for CONTRIBUTING.md and LICENSE.md
files [1], however there isn't an obvious corresponding requirement for
this in the OSGeo Incubation Graduation Checklist [2].

I'd suggest that the Graduation Checklist probably needs updating.

I also notice the requirement for Community projects to check headers
for Open Source compliance, although there isn't  specific guidance on
how such checks should be applied. It sounds very similar to a
"Provenance Review". Our experience with OSGeo incubation is that the
"Provenance Review" is usually the biggest time sink and stumbling block
for projects going through incubation. I'd be interested to hear Jody's
thoughts on this.

Warm regards, Cameron

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Projects

[2] http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/project_graduation_checklist.html