[Incubator] OSGeo4W project page on the new website

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Mon Jan 22 02:44:25 PST 2018

[https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/553]:
[https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2018-January/037046.html]:
----------------------
>From discuss email:

    Hi community,

    as we've seen in the Google Code‑in contest and students' feedback, MS
windows is still an important operating system within the user base of the
OSGeo stack.

    Beside the windows standalone installers of e.g. QGIS or winGRASS (both
are based upon OSGeo4W), the OSGeo4W framework itself is a very important
platform to deliver the OSGeo stack to the users of this operating system.

    As an example, when I'm helping winGRASS users on the GRASS user ML, I'm
often refering to use OSGeo4W-winGRASS in order to check if the
issue/problem is also there.

    Furthermore, OSGeo4W is also an important testing platform as it's
possible to use/test the latest greatest dailys of e.g. QGIS3 or GRASS7.4svn
on the windows operating system.

    Another example, University of Vienna deploys OSGeo4W to all its public
students PCs.

    Searching [1] and screening the new website, there seems to be no
information about/no link to OSGeo4W [2].

    Is this intentional? Just overseen?

    OSGeo will loose new and interested users of the OSGeo software stack
when no one can find the nice framework for the still most used operating
system.

    Kind regards Helmut

OSGeo charter member

[1] https://www.osgeo.org/search/OSGeo4W
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/

----

To request "editor" permission (for creating a project page) please speak to
the incubation committee as outlined here:
​http://osgeo.org/committees/incubation

Would love to see OSGeo4W listed on the new website, or better yet as a
community project.
---------------------

[https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2018-January/037049.html]:
---------------------
Hi Jody,

On Sat, 20. Jan 2018 at 21:15:27 -0800, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Helmut do you have any contact details for the OSGeo4W project?

See http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w

Jürgen
---------------------

[https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2018-January/037054.html]:
---------------------
Jody,

the OSGeo4W framework exits since more than 10 years now; the first entry in
the OSGeo4W-ML dates back to November 2007.

AFAIK there are few volunteers nowadays [1] to keep the framework running;
mainly Jürgen F. and Martin L.; I maintain a small package to
easily bridge the OSGeo4W framework and R (www.r-project.org) and help in
winGRASS if needed; and some other few volunteers helps from time to time.

> Please ask the OSGeo4W team to contact the incubation
> committee[https://www.osgeo.org/about/committees/incubation/] (for edit
> access to create a project page).

So, I may ask the incubation committee for edit access to create a project
page.

Helmut

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/osgeo4w-dev/2007-November/date.html
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/CoreTeam
---------------------

[https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2018-January/037064.html]:
---------------------
Although it would be great to be a commuity project - the project team does
need to ask - for more information see
http://osgeo.org/committees/incubation

Specifically OSGeo community project are recognized as part of the
foundation; we would like to treat all projects equally (even those that
have been around since 2007).
listed on the website.

    We have a very quick spot check to confirm each project is geospatial,
open source and accepts contributions.

I will do; OSGeo4W is a OSGeo community initiative since more than 10 years
and well documented in an OSGeo trac instance.
---------------------

herewith, for the sake of completeness,  I ask on behalf of OSGeo4W, an
OSGeo community initiative since more than 10 years, to be listed on the new
OSGeo website.

[https://www.osgeo.org/about/committees/incubation/]:
---------------------
How to list your project on the OSGeo website?

The OSGeo website is proud to promote a wide range of geospatial open source
software.

Project requirements:

    geospatial
    open source license
    accepts contributions
---------------------

OSGeo4W provides the OSGeo stack (e.g. proj4, GDAL, GRASS GIS, QGIS etc) in
an easy way for the MS windows operating system.

Thus OSGeo4W is geospatial.

The OSGeo stack and the OSGeo4W installer are open source.

The upstream OSGeo stack (e.g. proj4, GDAL, GRASS GIS, QGIS etc) accepts
contributions and also OSGeo4W installer.

Kind regards
Helmut
OSGeo charter member

-----