[Incubator] Oskari Incubation status

Arnulf Christl (Metaspatial) arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Thu Jul 5 09:11:47 PDT 2018

Hi Folks,

this is an update on the Incubation process of Oskari.

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Oskari_Incubation_Status

As mentor I am still somewhat hesitant to recommend Oskari for OSGeo
Incubation because I cannot find a good indicator supporting that there
is an open community and communication. Personally I know some of the
current core team and totally trust them to work in the Open Source way
of doing things. But this may not be quite apparent to anybody not into
the project.

Oskari is doing a good job posting news and updates to the OSGeo user
list (https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/oskari-user/) but the list is
not really used by users for any kind of discussion, help or future
development. It feels more like a low volume announce list (which is
totally OK, so please keep it up).

How and where is the development being discussed? Who can join the
Oskari Slack channel - or whatever else is used to have technical and
strategic discussions? Are there archives of discussions and decisions?
Do you manage to do this in English or is it still everything
communicated in Finnish?

In a PSC presentation from December 2016 one bullet-point says that
Oskari may become a project on OSGeo live:
https://oskariorg.github.io/files/20161220-Oskari_OSGEO_PSC.pdf.
<https://oskariorg.github.io/files/20161220-Oskari_OSGEO_PSC.pdf>

Actually, Incubation is not a requirement, so please feel free to
approach the OSGeo Live team to find out more.

In the Roadmap document (which in my opinion is actually ery good) at:
https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-docs/wiki/Roadmap-process you say that:

/"After communicating with Oskari community the roadmap items enter
Active stage [...]". /

Can you give us an example of where and how this has happened?

There are some updates on GitHub issues but it appears to be mostly
internal team members (which is totally OK, is this where the
collaborative aspect of the future development takes place?

https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-docs/labels/roadmap

Regarding Code Copyright Review you state that:

/All code has been developed by the registered developers listed on
github who have signed the CLA. All external libraries have project
compatible licenses. The project has been started as a regular Open
Source project following the guidelines as set out by OSGeo. A
file-per-file code review was therefore deemed superfluous. /

As mentor I can confirm that this is correct and satisfies OSGeo's
requirements (and yes, I did some quick checks on random code files but
due to the well organized origin of the project did not go through all
code like we had to in the GRASS project... :-).

In the last PSC meeting in December 2017 a decision was taken to
schedule the next meeting "as needed".

    /Meetings/activity/

//

  * /[...]/
  * /future meetings schedule: continue with “as needed” (no need for a
    fixed schedule)/

Summarizing the current status: We discussed some of the above topics
before and it is not a requirement for OSGeo Incubation to have active
mailing lists and so on. But it is a requirement to have an open process
and ideally also a somewhat growing user community. Obviously due its
character as a complex portal platform Oskari is not a software that
will have millions of downloads but a little broader adoption would be
nice to see.

You also say:

  * /Slack/Mailinglist can be used more actively to discuss any
    issues/voting/

//

If you are not using the Slack channel (which unfortunately is not
open), where is the communication taking place?

The PSC meeting notes from December 2017 has a list of current
installations / users / contributions. This is good to see. Has there
been any additions, changes over the past half year?

Even if you can not produce evidence for any or all of the above issues
I will be happy to recommend Oskari for Incubation if you believe that
this will help the project. Then it will be up to the Incubation
committee to decide whether we can recommend graduation to the OSGeo
Board of Directors.

We will have to expect some discussion on the Incubation list on the
above topics and this is not bad but a sign of a healthy process.

      Internal note to the Incubation committee

IF you ever made it down to this line and maybe even checked some of the
referenced documents, please be so kind as to acknowledge this on the
mailing list so that we can help Oskari move on.

It may also be a good idea to go back to the Incubation process and
check whether it should be revised for certain aspects (especially
requirement on mailing lists / alternatives like Slack).

Anything else you need, let me know.

Thank you,

Arnulf

Am 2018-06-25 um 17:05 schrieb Aarnio Timo (MML):

> Hi Incubator-list!
>
> We’d like to inquire about the incubation status of Oskari. What are
> the next steps should be in the incubation process? In our end we’ve
> done everything we’ve realized that we have to do. But is there
> something still wanted from us? Or is the process in the OSGeo end
> now? If so, what are the steps there and is there possibly any
> estimate when we can think about graduating?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Timo Aarnio

Spatially enabling your business
http://metaspatial.net