[Incubator] request from zoo-project

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 04:57:43 PDT 2018

-1 from me, although I'm open to be convinced otherwise.

Reasoning:

1. It is unclear to me from this email thread who the recipient of this
travel budget.

2. It is unclear what benefit will be gained from spending this budget.
Who will benefit? What OSGeo goals will be furthered?

3. This looks to be a very rushed request, with very little time for debate.

4. As Bruce mentioned, it is unclear whether we are setting a precedent
which OSGeo cannot match if applied across all projects in the future.

5. It looks like the entire project's sponsor budget is benefiting just
one person's trip to FOSS4G, and it is unclear if that person will be
helping others at the conference. It is not a good look.

Cameron

On 16/7/18 8:42 pm, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
> Hi Jody,
>
> This will set a precedent.
>
> Do we have funding to support one person from each project to attend
> FOSS4G?
>
> I’d prefer that we didn’t go down this path, if we can’t offer
> equitable treatment to all of our projects.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bruce
>
> On 16 Jul 2018, at 15:57, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com
> <mailto:jody.garnett at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> The treasurer has received a request from the zoo-psc for funding so
>> me travel to foss4g (where some presentations on ZOO-Project and
>> MapMint are taking place):
>>
>> * https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/zoo-psc/2018-July/000749.html
>>
>> Reminder ZOO-Project, along with several other community projects,
>> made budget requests here:
>>
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018#Community_Projects
>>
>> ZOO-Project has not completed graduation and does not have an officer
>> of their own, so I guess this falls on me as incubation chair to make
>> the request on behalf of the ZOO-Project PSC.
>>
>> /As incubation chair this looks fine, the ZOO-Project is both
>> planning ahead with a budget request, and making use of the funding
>> in a productive fashion. I kind of wish many of our other projects
>> were as engaged./
>>
>> I am happy to make the request, I will give it 24 hours in case any
>> ZOO-Project PSC members, or incubation committee members, wish to
>> provide input.
>>

>> --
>> Jody Garnett

Cameron Shorter