[Incubator] request from zoo-project

Arnulf Christl (Metaspatial) arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Mon Jul 16 05:34:52 PDT 2018

Hi All,

in general I support this type of request and therefore vote +1 to fund
one person from the ZOO-Project to go to FOSS4G.

+1 Arnulf

Caveats:

It feels a bit strange to have a conference host pay it's own organizer
to send their own people to their own conference (please note the
different connotation of each "own"). But this is the way we have set up
FOSS4G and so far it has proven to work great.

Bruce also brings up a good point: If we support one project we have to
expect others to also request for support. Maybe we can ask the board of
directors to look into the OSGeo budget and check whether it would be
viable to assign a specific budget to OSGeo projects? This should
probably only apply to incubated projects which would be another
incentive to follow the "OSGeo way of doing Open Source", something
OSGeo should have a stretegic interest in.

Cameron is right that the concrete request from the ZOO-Project should
have been submitted with more time to debate. The Incubator committee is
known to be a bit slow to respond (which is totally OK in my mind given
the sometimes complex and tricky issues needed to be looked at).

It should also be clear who is supported and that this is a clearly and
openly debated decision of the ZOO-Project PSC (which again requires
that ZOO go through incubation and has a formal body in place to govern
the project).

The main point for my support is that many Open Source projects still
have a hard time funding things that go beyond the simple "Give me this
new functionality" type of CR.

Best regards,

Arnulf

Am 2018-07-16 um 12:42 schrieb Bruce Bannerman:
> Hi Jody,
>
> This will set a precedent.
>
> Do we have funding to support one person from each project to attend
> FOSS4G?
>
> I’d prefer that we didn’t go down this path, if we can’t offer
> equitable treatment to all of our projects.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bruce
>
> On 16 Jul 2018, at 15:57, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com
> <mailto:jody.garnett at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> The treasurer has received a request from the zoo-psc for funding so
>> me travel to foss4g (where some presentations on ZOO-Project and
>> MapMint are taking place):
>>
>> * https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/zoo-psc/2018-July/000749.html
>>
>> Reminder ZOO-Project, along with several other community projects,
>> made budget requests here:
>>
>> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018#Community_Projects
>>
>> ZOO-Project has not completed graduation and does not have an officer
>> of their own, so I guess this falls on me as incubation chair to make
>> the request on behalf of the ZOO-Project PSC.
>>
>> /As incubation chair this looks fine, the ZOO-Project is both
>> planning ahead with a budget request, and making use of the funding
>> in a productive fashion. I kind of wish many of our other projects
>> were as engaged./
>>
>> I am happy to make the request, I will give it 24 hours in case any
>> ZOO-Project PSC members, or incubation committee members, wish to
>> provide input.
>>

>> --
>> Jody Garnett

Spatially enabling your business